Dr. B L Kapur, an eminent Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, set up a Charitable Hospital in 1930 at Lahore. In 1947, he moved to post-partition India and set up a Maternity Hospital at Ludhiana. In 1956 on the invitation of the then Prime Minister, Dr. B L Kapur initiated the project for setting up a 200 bed hospital in Delhi. The hospital was inaugurated by the Prime Minister, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru on 2nd January, 1959.
By 1984, when the hospital celebrated its Silver Jubilee, it was an expanding hospital well on its way to becoming Delhi’s premier multispecialty institute. Services offered included General Surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT, Dentistry, Pulmonology, Intensive Care and Orthopedics, apart from mother & child care with world class facility and services.